- There is growing concern that fluoride may be a neurodevelopmental toxicant.
- We characterize urine and plasma fluoride levels in 872 pregnant mothers.
- Fluoride levels through pregnancy were relatively stable.
- Prenatal fluoride exposure and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms in children at 6–12 years of age in Mexico City
- We measured urinary fluoride in 213 pregnant women living in Mexico City who were part of the ELEMENT pregnancy cohort study.
- Higher concentration of maternal urinary fluoride was associated with more ADHD-like symptoms in school-age children.
- Prenatal exposure to fluoride was most strongly associated with behavioral ratings of inattention, but not hyperactivity and impulse control.